Thursday 8 January, 2009

Participation in a Tamil Elocution Competition ( Tamil Pechi Potti: “Disaikaley Thedi”-Searching for a path)

Participation in a Tamil Elocution Competition ( Tamil Pechi Potti: “Disaikaley Thedi”-Searching for a path)

I planned to participate in the tamil department functions not only because of I missed a lot of competitions during my school days and bachelors and master degree courses because of my introverting character but also my love towards the tamil culture. I am very much interested with the tamil culture and their Love towards other, hospitality and compassion. Moreover, I knew that a lot of things are there to learn from this culture and my kerala culture also intertwined with this Dravidian. Today I realize the sweet of participating in all extracurricular activities, I decided to participate in a Tamil Elocution Competition conducting in our college as part of College annual day function. This day morning I attended Bharathy Thiruvila (Bharathiar Birthday Anniversary- a famous poet in Tamil) to get some ideas about how to address tamil audience.

I got permission from Tamil Department staffs to participate in that competition because usually PhD Scholar do not participate in that college functions. They welcomed me happily and I told them that tamil is a foreign language to me and I am attending the function for not to compete with other participants but to make me happy. They agreed and allowed me to participate. They published the topic of discussion this day morning and I contacted Santhana Krishnan to make my speech error free, who helped me to write my idea into Tamil-english, then it easy to read. I can read tamil but not able to write. I called my senior Inbakuamar also to participate in this function. We three , santhanam, Inbakumar and me participated from PhD scholars for this function. It was the first time a malayalee participating in a Tamil speech competition in this college, so they welcomed me and appreciated me well.

My speech was for a few minutes, it was as follows:

Thisaikaley Thedi:

Anaivarkkum iniya malai vanakkam. Ennudey thai mozhi Malayalam,enakku thamil avalukku varaadu, ennalum, thisaikaley thedi endra thalappil nan pesapovathu nokkathai patri than. Nokkam illamal vazhkkayey illai. Thannambikkaiodu kadinamaaga thedi kondu irundhaal than andha thisaiai, nokkathey adaya mudiyum. Enave namakku oru kurikkol irukka vendum. Athai adayumpothu namakkul erpadum aanantham, thaaan namadhu vettri. Ithuvudan enadu pechai mudithu kolgiren, nandri, vanakkam
.

Good evening to all. My mother toungue is Malayalam, so, I am not well versed in Tamil. Eventhough, I am going to speak about setting a Goal on the heading of searching for a path. There is no life without a goal. We have to work hard and search with self confidence to achieve our direction or goal. So, we should have an aim in our life. The happiness or satisfaction on our heart when we achieve our goal is the real success of our life. Hereby I conclude my address. Thank you, vanakkam.


It was a real achievement of me, participating a competition that was not in my past schedule, and I got new friends and new experience and I found new talents there.

No comments: